FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Before the Competition:
1. HOW DO I FIND THE EXACT LOCATION OF A KAR COMPETITION?
- The venue address and a map is available at the click of a button. Please go to the KAR home page, www.dancekar.com > click on “Competition” > select “Tour Schedule” and you will find a list of all competition cities, venues and dates.
2. WHEN SHOULD I ARRIVE TO THE COMPETITION?
- Please check with your studio director to find out exactly what time you should be at the competition. We strongly advise that dancers should be ready to perform at least one hour before their first dance is scheduled.
3. MY FAMILY WOULD LIKE TO COME AND WATCH THE COMPETITION. IS IT OPEN TO THE PUBLIC? IS THERE A FEE TO WATCH?
- KAR dance competitions are free and open to the public.
4. CAN I VIDEOTAPE OR TAKE PHOTOS OF MY DANCER(S) AT THE COMPETITION?
- For the safety of your dancer(s) and the protection of choreography, we do not allow audience members to videotape or photograph performances. Each performance is filmed and photographed by KAR professionals and can be previewed or purchased at the media center. Parents are encouraged to take photos and videos during the award ceremonies.
5. WILL THERE BE A LIVE STREAM? IF SO, WHERE CAN I GO TO WATCH?
- KAR does not offer live streams at regional competitions. Photos and video footage of the dancers will be available to view on our website after the event. You can also go to the KAR Facebook page or Instagram to stay connected with the latest KAR competition media. Only KAR Live events offer live streams of the final Showcase.
6. WHERE CAN I FIND YOUR ENTRY FEES?
- Our entry fees are only available to studio owners and directors in their “Studio Center” on the KAR website.
7. WHAT AWARDS ARE GIVEN AT A KAR COMPETITION?
- KAR is an adjudicated competition. Awards are based on a point system. The highest award possible is an Elite Top First Place, Top First Place, First Place, and a High Second. High Point awards, Judges Choice Awards, and Specialty awards are also given.
8. DOES KAR HAVE A TITLE COMPETITION AND HOW CAN I ENTER MY DANCER?
- Yes, KAR does have a Title Competition for any solo entry that would like to participate. Your teacher can register dancers online for the Title Competition, or as a parent, you can register your dancer at the Merchandise Table for $40 per act.
9. HOW DO I ENTER MY DANCER INTO THE PHOTOGENIC CONTEST?
- Photogenic entries are accepted at the merchandise table. You must bring a recent photo - no larger than 8x10 - with the dancer’s name, age, contact information and dance studio written on the back. Please make sure the photo is a head shot so we can see your dancer’s beautiful face. The entry fee for this contest is $30 per photo. Registration and payment for the photogenic contest is only accepted at the competition. All photos not claimed at the registration table by the conclusion of the competition will be discarded unless previous arrangements were made with the KAR office.
10. WHEN WILL I KNOW THE SCHEDULE OF THE DANCE COMPETITION?
- The performance schedule will be available 10 days prior to the competition in the Studio Director’s studio center. Please contact your dance studio for all schedule details.
*For more details on these topics, please see the KAR Rules page!
After the Competition:
1. I FORGOT TO ORDER A VIDEO OR PHOTO AT THE COMPETITION. WHO SHOULD I CONTACT?
- Check out the photos and videos at www.karmediacenter.com and place your order through the website. If you’d like to contact a media team member, please call (714) 826-8440.
2. HOW DO I ORDER A TROPHY?
- You can order a trophy on our online store at www.karflash.com. Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery.
3. HOW CAN I PURCHASE DANCEWEAR THAT I SAW AT THE COMPETITION?
Our KAR Flash department can certainly help you with that! However, please keep in mind that not all items sold at competitions are available online. To place an order, please visit our online store at www.karflash.com
4. HOW CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION ON THE KAR CONVENTION SCHOLARSHIP MY CHILD WAS AWARDED?
- Our Customer Care Specialists can help you with that! Please feel free to call the KAR office and speak to a friendly CCS team member who will gladly give you all the details about our KAR Dance Convention and scholarships. You can reach them at (714) 826-8440. Congratulations on winning a scholarship!
5. MY CHILD WAS SELECTED AS AN “ALL STAR DANCER” AND RECEIVED AN INVITATION TO NEW YORK CITY. HOW DO I FIND OUT MORE INFORMATION ON THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY?
- Your child should have received an informational pamphlet on stage. If you did not receive one, and want more details about the New York Dance Experience, please visit the Artistic Adventures website at www.artistic-adventures.net.
6. WHAT IS THE SCORING BREAKDOWN FOR AWARDS?
- KAR is an adjudicated dance competition, so contestants are being evaluated on a point system that is based on the average scores each competition. Contestants are not being ranked against each other. The studio directors will have the exact point breaks for all awards given at KAR.
7. HOW DO I GET A REFUND?
- All refunds or credits must be addressed with your studio owner/director. Unfortunately, parents are never issued a refund or credit directly.
8. WHERE CAN I SEE MY DANCER’S SCORES?
- Score sheets and judge’s commentaries are available online only to Studio Directors. Parents and dancers do not have direct access to the scores. Please contact your teacher or studio director to print, listen, and review the judge’s scores and critiques.
9. HOW CAN I CONTACT YOUR OFFICE IF I HAVE FURTHER QUESTIONS?
- Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or need any assistance at (714) 826-8440 or email KAR at email@example.com.
BE ASSURED THAT WE ARE COMMITTED TO MAKE ALL YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH KAR AS PLEASANT AND STRESS FREE AS POSSIBLE.